Teddy M. Kapur
Mr. Kapur represents debtors, creditors’ committees, trustees, and asset purchasers in chapter 11 corporate bankruptcies, chapter 9 municipal bankruptcies and out-of-court restructurings. He has represented clients in a broad range of industries such as healthcare, retail, real estate, automotive, and technology.
Mr. Kapur has played an integral role in cases that have been awarded the “Mid-Size Company Turnaround of the Year” by the Turnaround Management Association and “Reorganization of the Year Award” by The M&A Advisor. In 2015, Los Angeles magazine recognized Mr. Kapur as a “Super Lawyer,” an honor bestowed on only 5% of Southern California attorneys. He was recognized as a “Rising Star" by the same publication in 2014 and 2013. In 2014, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association recognized Mr. Kapur as one of the “Best Lawyers Under 40.” And in 2013, The M&A Advisor awarded Mr. Kapur the “40 Under 40 Recognition Award,” and The Recorder named Mr. Kapur a “Lawyer on the Fast Track,” identifying him as among fifty attorneys in California “whose early accomplishments indicate they will be tomorrow’s top lawyers and leaders.”
Mr. Kapur also possesses a strong business background. He was a vice president in a real estate investment division at American International Group, and an analyst in the investment banking division at Merrill Lynch & Co.
Mr. Kapur serves as a mentor and member of the board of the nonprofit organization Imagine LA, which facilitates a team mentorship program to help families permanently exit homelessness and poverty.
Mr. Kapur earned his J.D. from New York University School of Law, where he was an Articles and Notes Editor for the NYU School of Law Journal of Legislation and Public Policy. He earned his Master in Public Administration from Harvard University, and his B.A., magna cum laude, from Rice University. Mr. Kapur is admitted to practice in California and Texas (inactive), and is resident of our Los Angeles office.
• Chapter 11 debtors in Select Staffing; American Suzuki Motor Corporation; Ultura (Oceanside); CyberDefender; Gordian Medical (dba American Medical Technologies); Arlie & Company; Victor Valley Community Hospital; Heller Ehrman LLP; Z Gallerie; S&B Surgery Center; New Century Financial
• Creditors' committees in Naartjie Custom Kids; Adair County Hospital District; IPC International; Residential Capital; San Diego Hospice & Palliative Care Corporation; SSI Group Holding Corp. (Grandy's and Souper Salad restaurant chains); Pure Beauty Salons & Boutiques; Circuit City; Hawaii Medical Center
• Chapter 11 and 7 trustees in Georges Marciano; Renaissance Surgical Arts at Newport; Galleria USA
• Rice University (B.A. magna cum laude 1999)
• London School of Economics and Political Science (1997-98)
• Harvard University (M.P.A. 2004)
• New York University School of Law (J.D. 2004