Stewart John Maiden, K.C.
Stewart practises in complex commercial litigation, with a particular focus on insolvency law. He has a broad appearance and advice practice which encompasses cross-border and domestic insolvency, securities class actions, fiduciary and fraud-related actions, banking and finance disputes, corporate control disputes and general commercial litigation. Clients and instructors recognise him as being numerate, articulate and approachable.
Stewart is recognised as a pre-eminent senior counsel in Doyle's Guide's ranking of Victorian insolvency and reconstruction barristers, and as recommended senior counsel in its list of commercial litigation and dispute resolution barristers. Before he took silk, Stewart's work as junior counsel was recognised by Chambers Global as justifying a 'band 1' ranking within its rankings of Australian insolvency and restructuring barristers. Chambers now recognises him as 'new silk' in those rankings.
Stewart is widely published. He edited and co-authored the book Insolvent Investments (LexisNexis, 2015). He serves on the Editorial Board of the Insolvency Law Journal and writes the chapter on private international law for McPherson's Law of Company Liquidation. He has published articles in journals including the Australian Law Journal, International Corporate Rescue, the Insolvency Law Journal, the Company and Securities Law Journal and the Australian Bar Review, several of which have been cited in superior court judgments.
He is also:
- a ministerial appointee to the pool of candidates for appointment to the Insolvency Practitioner Disciplinary Committees, which rule on the registration and discipline of liquidators under the Corporations Act 2001 (C'th);
- a Fellow of INSOL International (having achieved the highest result of the class of 2009-10 in INSOL's Global Insolvency Practice Course);
- Assistant Honorary Treasurer of the Victorian Bar, and a member of the Bar Council;
Treasurer of the Commercial Bar Association of Victoria, and chair of its Insolvency Law section;
- a member of the Victorian Bar’s Ethics Committee;
- a member of the International Insolvency Institute;
- a member of the Law Council of Australia's Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee; and
- a Professional Member of the Australian Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Association.
Stewart's assistant, Julie Godenzi, can be contacted on (03) 9225 7049 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.