Jean-Yves Fortin, Ad. E.
Jean-Yves Fortin is one of the country’s foremost experts on corporate restructuring. He has represented and advised numerous debtors, as well as creditors and trustees and all other parties in restructuring proceedings.
He joined RSS in 2016 after having practised with major firms for many years.
Over the years, Mr. Fortin has been acting as an advisor and a litigator in files with stakes in the tens of millions of dollars as well as complex files raising international law issues and involving proceedings in numerous countries.
He has argued cases involving numerous areas of law related to business, including several cases that made headlines.
• Designated Lawyer Emeritus by the Bar of Quebec in 2010
• Fellow of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (FIIC), 2004–; founding member (1990), secretary (2000–2001), vice-president (2001–2002), honorary president (2004–2005)
• Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy (FACB), 2005–
• Best Lawyers in Canada (Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law), 2006–
• Who's Who Legal (Insolvency & Restructuring), 2004–
• Recipient of a Service Award from NACM-Canada in recognition of leadership and support (2008)
• International Insolvency Institute: founding member (2002–)
• Canadian Insolvency Foundation: chairman of the board (2004–2006)
• Collège des administrateurs de société (ASC): certified director (2009–)
• Canadian Bar Association
• International Association of Lawyers
• Insol International American Bar Association
• Commercial Law League of America Mount Royal Club (1994–)