Diego Sierra Laris
Diego Sierra is a partner of Von Wobeser y Sierra SC. He has more than eight years of experience in bankruptcy and restructuring. He heads the Bankruptcy and Restructuring practice in tandem with his active commercial litigation and anti-corruption practices. He has been crucially involved in the most important and complex bankruptcy proceedings in Mexico during the last few years, which have had international relevance; he has also advised and provided legal strategy to several companies in matters related to restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings.
Some of his representative work includes representing five of the most important creditors of Oceanografía and one of the main suppliers of Mexicana de Aviación in their respective Bankruptcy Proceedings. Additionally, Diego Sierra is currently involved in several national and transnational bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings, which include:
• Representing BAC Florida Bank in the Proveedora La Perla Bankruptcy proceedings in Querétaro. In said Bankruptcy proceedings BAC Florida Bank just managed to lift, by means of an amparo trial, the interim measures that benefited Proveedora La Perla’s guarantors (which happened to coincide with its main shareholders).
• Representing Gavilon de México in the Ganadera La Tizapa Bankruptcy proceedings in Guadalajara. Here, Gavilon de México is currently devising a strategy to file for a fraud action against the individual shareholders, whom illegally benefited from the filing of the Bankruptcy Proceedings.
• Representing an important auto parts manufacturer regarding the possibility of filing for Bankruptcy for its subsidiary in Mexico, in the context of its already ongoing global restructuring process seated in U.S. Courts.
• Representing certain AIG subsidiaries in the IPACPA (Industrializadora de Productos Agrícolas de la Cuenca de Papaloapan) Bankruptcy proceedings in Veracruz.
• Representing Universidad Interglobal in its Restructuring process held in Mexico City.
• Representing a U.S. energy company’s strategy to send its Mexican subsidiary into bankruptcy and liquidation, in order to be able to wind down its operations in Mexico.
• Advising Zebra Technologies Corporation in its collecting efforts which included filing for the Bankruptcy of its debtor.
• Advising Procter & Gamble in its collecting efforts with regards to the restructuring process of Grupo Corey, S.A. de C.V.
• Advising the interests of the main trusts of the bondholders in Vitro’s bankruptcy procedure by providing the legal strategy to be followed in Mexico and United States.
Diego Sierra is an active member of the Mexican Bar Association’s Insolvency Committee where he has been a speaker on different occasions. Moreover, he is also actively involved in the International Bar Association’s Insolvency Section, where he has been a speaker and has published works on Mexico’s Ley de Concursos Mercantiles.
Diego Sierra is a graduate from the Escuela Libre de Derecho where he graduated with honors and was President of the Student Council in 2006-2007. He holds a Master of Laws Degree (LL.M.) and a Certificate in Business Administration with honors from Northwestern University School of Law & Kellogg School of Management in Chicago (2011). He was an International Visiting Attorney at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, in New York (2011 - 2012). Diego Sierra is admitted to practice in New York.
Diego Sierra has been recognized as one of the top Mexican bankruptcy and restructuring practitioners by Chambers & Partners, Who’s Who Legal and Legal 500.